Are you looking for simple, handmade decorations your toddler can help you create? Stand out from the crowd. Save money. And have fun together by using our printable Christmas ornament templates. They’re free!
Keep and add the paper decorations to your tree every Christmas. There’s nothing better than looking back on treasured keepsakes.
When I first started thinking about a Christmas eve box for my 1 year old, I knew I wanted to add some sort of fun craft activity. But it’s hard when he’s this young. His attention span is short and he doesn’t do creative activities for long. I needed something that wouldn’t take hours to make and something that he would love.
So I created printable Christmas ornament templates.
Now I have a craft activity prepared and it’s one less thing I need to buy for his box. It’s saved me some money so I thought I’d share it to help you out too.
Paper Christmas Decorations to Print and Make at Home
The Christmas ornament templates are in a pdf format and print on a4 paper. I’ve found that it’s best to print them on normal paper. Then cut out the shapes and use them as stencils on materials like cardstock or recycled cardboard.
Here are the designs you can choose from:
2 different shaped baubles
A bauble with photo template
A Christmas tree
Supplies you’ll need to create your DIY tree decorations
Cardstock, scissors, paint, and ribbon are all you need to make your Christmas decorations at home.
Glue isn’t necessary but you can use it to keep the shapes in place if you wish.
How Do You Make a Handmade Christmas Tree Ornament?
Once you’ve printed out your template, cut around the shapes. Then draw around them on cardstock or recycled cardboard. Place the paper template onto the cardboard and cut down the line on each of the shapes.
Colour and decorate both sides of the shapes. Here’s where you can add your own personal style!
Slot the shapes into each other. For example, slot the top of the tree, into the bottom of the other tree.
Pierce a hole at the top of the shape. Then thread through ribbon or string. Tie a knot in the end.
Now your decoration is complete, all you need to do is hang it on your tree!
Ways to use the printable ornament templates
There are so many ways to use the blank stencils. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Add the Printable Christmas ornament templates to your child’s Christmas eve box. Make memories the night before Christmas with this easy, low prep activity.
- Get creative! Design and colour your handmade Christmas tree decorations. Use paint, felt tips, sequins, glitter, and other craft resources.
- Use the simple designs as worksheets. Get kids to design their own bauble, tree, bird, or deer.
- Once you’ve made the DIY paper Christmas decorations at home, string them together to create a unique garland.
- Make your tree decorations extra special by adding cute pictures of your toddler. The bauble template is the best for this. And you can add 2 different pictures to one ornament! Check out Red Ted Art for inspiration.
- Create gift tags or give them to the family as gifts they can hang on their tree.
So what are you waiting for?
Download the printable Christmas ornament templates. And start making your simple tree decorations with your toddler today.